Muay Thai, or Thai Boxing, is the national sport of Thailand. It’s also known as the “Art of 8 Limbs” because fighters use their hands, elbows, knees, and feet. It’s an exciting combat sport, an amazing workout, and it’s great for self-defense. Check out this short blog post to learn more about Muay Thai and the GMAU Muay Thai program.
What is Muay Thai?
Muay Thai, also known as Thai boxing, is a martial art and combat sport that originated in Thailand. It’s characterized by powerful strikes that come from the fists, elbows, knees, and shins. It also features clinching techniques, which involve holding and striking an opponent in close range.
Muay Thai has a long history in Thailand, where it was developed as a means of self-defense and physical conditioning for soldiers. Over time, it has evolved into a popular spectator sport and is now practiced all over the world by people of all ages and skill levels.
In addition to its use in competition and self-defense, Muay Thai is used as a form of fitness training. This is because it’s an excellent way to improve cardiovascular health, build strength, and develop coordination and balance.
Many gyms and fitness studios offer Muay Thai classes as a way for people to get in shape and learn basic techniques.
Who Should Train in Muay Thai?
Muay Thai is an exciting martial art and sport for people of various backgrounds and fitness levels. Here are some groups of people who will benefit from training in Muay Thai:
- Martial arts enthusiasts: If you enjoy learning different styles of martial arts, Muay Thai is an ideal addition to your training regimen.
- Fitness enthusiasts: Muay Thai training is an excellent way to get in shape and improve your overall fitness. It’s a full-body workout that helps to build strength, flexibility, and endurance.
- Self-defense students: Muay Thai includes a variety of striking and clinching techniques that can be useful in self-defense situations.
- Combat-sports athletes: If you’re interested in combat sports like boxing or mixed martial arts, Muay Thai provides an excellent way to develop your striking skills and clinching techniques.
- People looking for a fun and challenging hobby: Muay Thai is an enjoyable and engaging activity that can help you build confidence and discipline while meeting new people and challenging yourself physically and mentally.
It’s important to note that Muay Thai can be a physically demanding sport, so it’s important to consult with a doctor before starting any new fitness regimen, especially if you have any health concerns or pre-existing conditions.
The GMAU Muay Thai Program
Set up a FREE beginner’s account and start training TODAY!